My favourite little corner….my office nook.

This is my favourite little corner in our house. It’s where I scrapbook, write blog posts, surf the net, pay bills and read my favourite blogs.
Until last year, my corner was an Ikea desk with a hutch. It was functional. It worked…but it was always a mess. Not pretty. It didn’t reflect me at all.  I wanted to make it better, but I wasn’t sure how.
I was reading a Better Homes & Gardens special publication when I stumbled on this picture of an office nook. It became my inspiration for my ‘new’ space. I loved the shelves above the desk and the storage space it afforded. I needed a lot more storage space for my scrapbooking & stamping supplies, so I thought this design idea would work for me.
First, I had my husband remove the small hutch from the desk. This totally opened up the space for new shelves.  Next, I purchased white shelf brackets from Ikea and white shelving from Home Depot. Since I had measured the width of the space, I had Home Depot cut the shelves to the exact width needed for the space.  I had my husband install the shelves and instantly, the storage space was tripled! I set to work filling the space with white Ikea boxes for storing all my crafting supplies and pretty stuff to reflect me. One of my favourite colours has always been pink, but I have never decorated anywhere in the house with pink. So I decided to add touches of pink here in my little nook. I really love how it turned out and the space functions so much better for me.
I splurged a bit and bought a new capiz shell lamp for the desk corner. I love it for it’s shape and touch of  ‘beachy’ it gives. To the left of the computer screen are pics of my kiddos when they were babies.
The pink rose plate hanging on the wall is sentimental to me. It hung on the wall of the office where I used to work in the family business. The family business is now closed after 50 years and I like having this little reminder of that time in my life.
The picture is of my parents on their 40th Wedding Anniversary…it’s a wonderful picture of them.
The silver clock and the vases are from Ikea. The plate on the wall belonged to my grandmother.

The white vases come from my treasure hunting trips to Goodwill. The artwork came as a free download from one of my favourite blogs, “Adventures in Decorating a Brooklyn Limestone.”

Scrapbook magazines and books are organized in Ikea magazine files.

The vintage doll belonged to my Grandmother’s sister Ethel who died in 1929 at age 14. My Grandmother saved it as a precious memory of her only sister. She left the doll to my daughter.
The shadow box was made by my daughter as gift to me for Mother’s Day a few years ago. The picture is of me with my kids on a beach in Nova Scotia when my youngest was a baby. The little pink dish with the blue bird belonged to my grandmother. I remember that dish being on an end table in her house for many years.
Now this space works so much better. It has lots of storage and it’s touches of pink make me feel happy. Most of the storage pieces are white, so if I ever decide to switch out the pink decor to another colour, the storage boxes can stay.
The only problem now is that my family says that I spend too much time here!
I am linking this post to these fabulous parties:

Visit thecsiproject.com

Organize and Decorate Everything

inspired room
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Strut-Your-Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Show and Share Day @ Just A Girl.

Comments

I adore your desk area – I love how organized it, I love your touches of pink, your family treasures, and your capiz shell lamp (I noticed it right away). It's what I would love to have one day when I have a bit more room. No room in mine for craft things right now.

How cute! I love what you did, I would spend way too much time there too! Is that a Liberty of London Print on your screen? =) Love it!

I just wanted to say that I love your nook! I discovered your blog thanks to your link from "Just a Girl". I'm enjoying looking around.

I love how you mixed new with older family heirlooms in the little space. So sweet.

BTW – I have that same white cabinet (under your desk). I used to use it for my scrapbooking but soon it will be a printer stand.

Fabulous! Love that you fit it in a little nook. I am loving the happy touches! Wish that all of my crap could fit into a little nook. Oh well-I can look and love yours. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Please, stop by sometime and say hello. Would love be bloggy buddies!
    Happy Weekend!!

I think it looks great! I really like the pink and white. I just picked up a few mag holders from IKEA in green but now I wish I would have done white. Love the little shell lamp and your screen saver even goes! Too Cute!

I just love your space – from the soft colors to the special items you've added to make it so personable. I'm your newest follower and can't wait to check out more of your blog!

LOVELY space! YOu are the organization queen and you make it so pretty! LOVE that! I'm in love with your chair and your capiz lamp….SWOON! …newest follower! Isn't this party the best!

Gorgeous! Saw your post on CSI project & love every bit of it. Especially obsessed with your desk chair!! Where is it from? I think it is exactly what I have been looking for! I'm excited to read more of your great blog!

Love the color palate! Reminds me of lucious vintage baubbles! Your Grandmothers dolls is such a sweet memory of her sister, so sad. Oh, I adore the little pink dish with the blue bird! Great space!!!
    Visiting from Show off Your Space @ Tator Tots and Jello. Stop by and see me at cookscleansplayswithpaper.blogspot.com
    ~Rachel

I love this space. I'm saw this linked up at Tatertots. I'm thinking of redoing my closet into a scrap space. I'm going to pin your space so I can come back to it for more ideas. (Also, I'm a fellow Maritimer, although I still live here!)

This is a terrific work space! I love having everything so orderly but it rarely happens. I am trying to clear out a four drawer file cabinet and re do it!
    Your space is wonderful I would spend a lot of time there.
    Hugs and HPS Anne

This is rather an old post I just happened to stumble across today. But it's fitting for me right now. Funny how that happens… Anyway, I don't know if you will get this note but I wanted to let you know that your thoughts about reorganzing your space have given my thoughts more direction as I try to organize MY space today! I had to take a break and read blogs for a while. I just got so overwhelmed with "What do I do next?!" So thanks! Love your posts, Angie.