Valentine Petit Fours

Valentine Petit Fours.
Despite the fancy french name, they are really only tiny little cakes that are dressed up for a party.
You are really going to love how easy this is…and it`s a great project to make with children.
It is that easy.
And in case you have never heard of this dessert before, petit fours are traditionally small confections served for dessert.
Petit Four literally means “small oven“ and petit fours can not only be cakes, but pastries, biscuits, cheesecakes and any other confection…but they are always small or “petit“.

Valentine Petit Fours

Ingredients:
Pound cake, cut into 1 inch cubes
1-2 cups Icing sugar
Food colouring or tint for icing
A few tablespoons of water.
Valentine`s sprinkles.

Directions:
1. Make icing. Mix together approx. 2 cups of icing sugar with a few tablespoons of water with a whisk  to make a thin consistency. The icing should be thin enough so that it can be poured over cakes, or cakes can be dipped into.

2. Put a cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet. Place cubes of cake on the cooling rack. This will allow for the extra icing from the cakes to drip into the cookie sheet instead of the counter.

3. Although the traditional method is pouring icing over the cakes, I prefer dipping the cubes into the icing. I find there is less waste this way. Put each cube on a skewer and dip into icing until fully coated. You can also use a spoon  to help spread the icing over the cake. Place cake cube on cooling rack on cookie sheet. Sprinkle on some love…Valentine’s sprinkles.

{After the first few cubes are done, if you find that the icing is too thin and is running off the cakes entirely, it is okay to add more icing sugar to the mixture to make it a little thicker. You can also re-dip the first few cubes if necessary.}

5. Let petit fours dry for an hour or until icing is set.

To serve, you can place them in mini-cupcake liners.
These would be a great addition to any little party…and perfect for small children because they are a perfect size for small hands and appetites.

You can find more easy Valentine’s Day treats here, here and here.

To see some other fun desserts made with pound cake:

And have a peek at these fun boards on Pinterest:

Thank you so much for visiting!
xo

Comments

These look tasty and I think they are the perfect size. I always want something sweet that is just a bite. This would hit the spot. But are they like chips when you can't eat just one?

Those look so beautiful and delicious! Petit fours are a favorite treat my mom and I love to share together. I remember eating them with her when I was little.

Thanks for sharing on the Frugal Crafty Home blog hop.

These are soo cute Angie!! And perfect timing for me to see. My hubby has been buying pound cake every time he goes to the store lately. Now I can make up some extra special looking treats! Thanks for sharing. =)

~ Catie

These are almost too cute to eat … almost! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Pinning, thanks for sharing!

Your Newest GFC Follower :),
    Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com

These are so expensive to buy at the bakery but I have never been able to "master" them at home. I'm not much of a baker but what is "icing sugar"….does it go by another name? Your photography of this treat is just wonderful. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I saw your post as it was featured at "The 36th Avenue".

Thanks so much for linking to Make the Scene Monday @ Alderberry Hill. You are being featured tomorrow morning!
    I hope you are having a wonderful weekend, and join me tomorrow night for Make the Scene Monday #61!

So, so adorable! I have all boys, so Valentine's Day is the only time EVER I can kind of get them to go with the whole pink thing. Can't wait to try them! Thanks so much for sharing!